Sunday, March 29, 2015

Last On First Off Frustration

badge image 

Before I start right in on the frustration, I'll share some great news! A penguin has nothing on me! I just earned my PENGUIN MARCH BADGE for walking 70 miles since starting my Fitbit trek on March 12th! Just another love note from my new B.F.F.  At first I wondered if it was really a celebration of the distance or if the fitbit had been sending covert aerial views of my walking style and I was being taunted for waddling 10,000 steps daily - turns out my fears were for naught. It was a pat on the flipper for a job well done!

10,000 step days is the new normal for me with under being the exception. Yesterday, I was once again denied the happy dance by a mere 20 steps. I was visiting another time zone and the day changed an hour earlier than my home time. It was disappointing but sanely disappointing this time. (I knew I went well over 10,000 steps and this time I didn't whine about not getting my light show. (We penguins have evolved past such superficiality!)

SO - about this last on first off situation - it is an unfortunate truth that weight comes off first from the places we last gained it. Therefore, even though I'm starting to see the results of my efforts, instead of the much anticipated relief for my jeans, I'm sporting some super trim earlobes and my fingers, toes, wrists and ankles are showing signs of progress. And this is why I usually get frustrated and give up. I mean come on, do earrings or socks really appreciate the difference? No! And when the places you most want to see improvements lag behind the ones that matter least, it does get discouraging - thus the give it up and soothe myself in the silky arms of chocolate. THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT!

I can't explain how I know this - but I do. It's time. I'm ready, and doggone this accountability and encouragement of my effort is making a huge difference in my attitude. I know that no matter what the scale or jeans indicate from one day to the next, each step is making a difference that will contribute to the final outcome. It's happening. Every day takes me closer than I was the day before to my final destination - as long as I take the steps (literally and figuratively) that lead in the direction I want to go.

Progress not perfection people! One axe strike at at time will fall the tallest tree eventually. One foot in front of the other will see me growing fitter day by day.

When I love myself, I change. I'm changing. It works! Try it. You'll love it!

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Your sense of humor is SO refreshing. 70 miles is downright awesome, btw. Just think, by the end of this, you could have the stamina to walk anywhere if you had the time. Maybe even NC! I have an extra room. Good job!! Keep up the good work. It'll finally make it's way to your jeans by the time your face and hands look like skeletor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, when I got that Penguin Walk badge, I was so impressed with myself I needed to grease my head to pass through doorways! You're dead on about Skeletor! I'll be the only skeleton with hips and thighs. I've never been to NC before so maybe I'll Forest Gump it out there someday. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on changing and loving yourself. Congrats on the penguin march badge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lux. I'm waddling with my head held high. :)

    ReplyDelete