Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Why You Little...

MY FITBIT ROBBED ME!

Where I live we have grocery stores called Meijers that are the size of a small town. When the first one opened near where I lived years ago I called it Meijers, IL. I used to joke that to shop there required a compass, hiking gear and a packed lunch. Meijers took care of the packed lunch issue by opening a SubWay inside the store to keep shoppers from fainting from want of food.

SO! Yesterday, Fitbit strapped on, I planned to really crank some serious step totals and get bonus points for doing the loathsome job of hunting food to bring back to the cave. I walked from one end to the other basking in the glorious boost I was racking up in steps  - but nooooo!  Fitbit decided that since my arms weren't moving (pushing a cart) none of those steps counted!

My husband tried his best to console me with "Well, you know you've added at least xxx steps so it doesn't really matter what the registered count is." 


IT MATTERS!

It matters because now I have to do all those steps over again because if I don't, the little gizmo won't do it's celebratory light show and vibratory dance! It matters because somewhere deep in my psyche I need that validation. (Something horrible must have happened to me during the birthing process or potty training!)

It matters because I'M NUTS! The perfectionist in me just can't let it go. All of my newly proclaimed self compassion and understanding got thrown completely under a bus and run over by a perfectionism. Mind you - this all happened the very day I wrote a note to a friend telling her to stop being so hard on herself that she was already perfect and getting better. AGH!

AND I DID IT! 

Yes, it's sick, but redid those steps. I had my happy dance light show and yes I did get my much needed satisfaction from it. The deeper question for me is WHY on earth do I need that?

Anyone know a good shrink?

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! I want to see the light show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get your own dang cheating, spying Fitbit! :)

      Delete
  2. I love Meijer's it's a great alternative to WalMart in my neck of the woods. Granted at first it can be intimidating. I don't own a fitbit, but a pretty snazzy pedometer that I carry with me sometimes when it's a full blown grocery run. I like the determination though. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything's a great alternative to Walmart! When I walk into that store, my instant feeling is despair. I'll bet your snazzy pedometer wouldn't dare cheat you out of your hard earned steps would it? :)
      Thanks for checking in on my insanity Gary! :)

      Delete