Thursday, March 19, 2015

I Didn't Want To Love You!





Oh Fitbit! Why did you make me love you?

If you've been following along, you know that I've embarked on a new relationship. A love/hate relationship as many relationships are wont to be.

This affair however is with a device! You can see how reluctant I've been. How my trust issues and past experience have colored my ability to really invest my heart quickly and easily and how easy it is to squash that trust by following these links.

Now I'm afraid, despite my best efforts, I've fallen - fallen head over heels (especially heels). 

Dear Fitbit,

I fought a good fight. I pushed you away. I really really didn't want to like you - and never wanted to LOVE you but you've chiseled away at my resolve and finally, you've prevailed.

Maybe asking for my weight and being pushy up front really was because you cared and not because you were assessing my worthiness. Perhaps setting ridiculous standards (10,000 steps for a couch potato? Come ON!)  was actually for my benefit and not because you were setting me up to fail.

Could it be that you knew how important it was for me to change? What was your first clue? Was it the fact that I considered typing an aerobic activity or that I'd come to believe that chocolate was honesty the best and only true source of Omega 3's? 

Never mind all that. Let me tell you how you won my heart. You were there. Boy were you there! Every second of every day - except at bedtime because I'm still not convinced you won't post drooling pics online whilst I sleep. You paid attention. You tracked my steps one by one (except that time you cheated me mercilessly at the grocery store just for pushing a cart! No bitterness here.) You encouraged me. You sent me love letters as goals were met supporting my progress.

Most of all you recognized me. Not in that "drag me up in front of a crowd and embarrass me" kind of way that you know makes me uncomfortable, but by throwing a private little celebration just between the two of us on my wrist - complete with rhythm and a light show!

It's become impossible to resist your charm. You'll find I'm a loyal companion. I probably won't even be able to upgrade to a better model of you without wearing both of you because it would seem like cheating after all you've done for me already.

I'd love to go on and on but I'm only at 6000 miles for the day and I don't want to risk missing our 10,000 step celebration later this evening so I'll close for now but thank you for helping me move - even if it's still a bit out of guilt and perfectionism. I'm sure my heart and waistline aren't concerned so much with why as long as I just do it!

XOXO

Me




No comments:

Post a Comment